NEW BEDFORD — Police identified the New Bedford fisherman, who presumably fell overboard on Monday, as Thomas Quintin Jr.

The 55-year-old was born into a fishing family. Both his grandfathers were fishermen and both were lost at sea, according to police, who also said his father, two nephews and sister all fished.

Quintin entered the fishing industry at 17 and was the captain of a New Bedford-based vessel for more than two decades before working aboard the Miss Shauna, police said.

According to Quintin's Facebook page, he received a 200 ton masters license from Northeast Maritime Institute in 2014-15. A deeply religious man, he graduated from Old Colony Regional Vocational Technical High School in 1979. 

The Coast Guard suspended a 28-hour search for Quintin on Wednesday.  

Sabrina Clarke, of the Coast Guard, said a variety of reasons contribute to a suspension of a search including weather, water temperature and safety equipment the person may have been wearing. 

The search for Quintin in the Atlantic Ocean began Monday afternoon after he didn’t report to his post when the Miss Shauna was about 25 miles south of Montauk, New York. He was last seen by the crew at around 4 p.m.

The vessel has since returned to New Bedford, according to an employee at Miss Shauna LCC at 1 Cape St.

The owner of the vessel’s license, Paul Weckesser, wasn’t in his office on Thursday. The company had no further comment regarding the incident.

As many as 15 vessels aided in the search, many of them fishing boats. The Coast Guard deployed assets from Montauk, Shinnecock, Cape Cod’s air station and Cutter Shrike.

They ran 22 search patterns covering more than 4,200 square miles.

The crew aboard Miss Shauna, a 51-foot vessel, told the Coast Guard they didn’t believe Quintin was wearing a life jacket when he presumably fell overboard.

The Coast Guard said while vessels are required to carry life vests, fisherman aren’t required to wear them.

Follow Michael Bonner on Twitter @MikeBBonnerSCT