We are in a time when significant anniversaries of historic events will be celebrated. Plymouth is gearing up for the 400th year anniversary of the 1620 landing of the Pilgrims. A similar time was celebrated in the 1930s when the 300th anniversary of the establishment of Boston was honored. As part of that anniversary, the Mass. Department of Transportation created signs to note historic locations and events along state roads.

One such sign was located in front of the Memorial High School in Middleboro on Rte 105, North Main St. It told the story of the “Old Fort”, that was located at the back of the school, above the Nemasket River, back at the start of King Phillip’s War in the 1670’s. A second sign was a bit farther out of town but still on Rte. 105, as the road crossed the River, heading towards Plymouth. The sign tells us that this location was called “the Wading Place” in colonial times as it was the only place you could walk through shallow water to the other bank of the river. In colonial times, the Nemasket River was several times larger than it is today. Both these signs went in place in 1930. The “Old Fort” sign disappeared after the old Jr. High closed. The “Wading Place” sign stayed in place on the side of Rte 105 as it crossed the Nemasket, but it was often hidden by trees and was corroded and difficult to read. Both these early pieces of Middleboro’s rich history are now back in place, fully restored by the Mass. DOT, thanks to the efforts of local State Rep. Keiko Orrall and her former staff member Jeanine Knowlton. With their encouragement, the DOT created a brand new duplicate of the “Old Fort” sign. Our own Middleborough DPW helped put the new sign in place in front of the now Memorial Early Childhood Center. The Wading Place sign was taken down and refurbished by the Mass. DOT and recently put back in place beside Rte 105 and the Nemasket River. It is wonderful to have these historic reminders of Middleborough’s rich colonial history back in place. Please take a few moments to look at these historic markers. Many thanks Rep. Orrall, Mrs. Knowlton, Middleboro’s DPW, and the Mass. DOT.